Wright On

A preservice English teacher's reflections on education, language, and teaching.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Some after thoughts

As I am sitting here late at night thinking about my teacher researcher case study, I have come up with some more questions that just keep picking at my brain. So I might as well just get them out onto this empty space.
I realize that the methods and lessons that we learn in our education classes at the undergraduate and graduate level cannot always be directly applied to every classroom. However, after completing a few observations in several classrooms throughout the semester, I am starting to realize that many teachers do not integrate these methods and lessons into their classroom instruction. Instead, some just pop back into the old teacher centered format where the teacher lectures on and on, mimicking the sound of Charlie Brown's teacher, and the kids take notes. Then they come to class the next day and it happens all over again. I have to wonder- do they like teaching? are they bored?
Where does this disconnect occur from the time we receive out license to the time we start teaching? Do we get sucked into the habits of other teachers? Do we start to believe that all the stuff our professors told us was merely theory and completely impracticable? I don't know. I hate to criticize because I am still in my licensing stage and I realize that NOT all teachers do this. But even one teacher teaching in such a way is too common.
Yes, students should take notes but they are also members or participants of a classroom. So, when do we forget "our education." I always return to the same thing my dad always tells me, "if they aren't learning, then you aren't teaching them." Such a wise man. As I start to head towards the stage where I turn my case study into a publishable document, I think that this will be the direction that I am headed. I'll have to chew on these thoughts a little more.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Bleckley said...

I totally know what you mean, I've done it, and I don't defend it one bit.

When I did my student teaching I didn't do enough planning. And I think that was a trap I fell into, because then I'd end up throwing something together the night before so I could go to bed. Next time, they won't get me so easily. I'm planning massively in advance.

Your father does sound like a wise man. Too often we blame the students for not learning, tell ourselves they're lazy or not interested. But our students live up to our expectations . . .

6:41 PM, December 01, 2006  
Blogger Cindy O-A said...

What scares me is that I'm seeing the attitude that you're talking about in practicing teachers' classrooms cropping up already with some preservice teacher who aren't even in their own classrooms yet! Now I'd like some insight from you on that!

Teaching is just too hard to do if you don't have the passion there in the first place. Sometimes in the daily grind, it's easy to forget that, at least temporarily. Like Ben, I've been there myself (still am some days!). That's why it's always been essential to me to seek out other passionate teachers who know that they wouldn't choose to be anywhere else but the classroom even if they could.

I wonder if the teachers you're mentioning have a professional network like CLAS or the writing project to support and inspire them with the very tough but incredibly important task of teaching?

11:16 AM, December 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home