Wright On

A preservice English teacher's reflections on education, language, and teaching.

Friday, October 20, 2006

At Risk Prompt

After reading Brittany BAP's response to my orignal post regarding At Risk students in the classroom. I have decided that I would like to focus more on students that she labeled as " Optionally Defiant Students." This mentality is such a foriegn cocnept to me and I think that by researching and observing students like these, I will have many of my own beliefs regarding schooling challenged. I am definitely up for it!
I think that I am still interested in students that are considered At Risk because of the outside factors in their lives- mainly because I assume (maybe wrongly) that these two catagories overlap. Perhaps I will discover that they do not overlap, but that is my hypothesis. I think that it is always a challenge to try to engage students in a class and as it was suggested, it helps if we make lessons applicable and intersting to their lives. However, I wonder if this is always possible? I think I will need to get out of my box for this one!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home