Wright On

A preservice English teacher's reflections on education, language, and teaching.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Preliminary Ideas for a Paper- At Risk Students

For my education composition class I am brainstorming some ideas for a new paper assignment. I am interested in finding strategies that teachers use for At Risk students. After reading a blog regarding a teacher's expereince with At risk students at an alternative high school, I am curious to find strategies that can be used to teach these students effectively. At a school that i am volunteering at, the students rarely complete their homework and minimal effort is given. How do we prepare students and teach them so that they come out of the class having learned something about the discipline? I think that this especially concerns me with the national concern over Standardized testing (specifically Colorado's CSAP). How do we teach the students the curriculum? How do we motivate them to learn, not just to be marked as "proficient" on an exam but to learn for themselves? How do we resist disregarding students that seem hopeless or resistant to any type of schooling?

1 Comments:

Blogger deemae said...

I think you have a great start to your paper ideas! These are all such great ideas and questions we are all concerned with more or less. Curriculum is a great topic and can really create how students and teachers react to one another. Many students are not reactive to curriculum because it is boring or not relevant to their life. I can see how many students reject education based upon dry curriculum and even more so with at risk students.
I have always wondered how much at risk students find homework helpful because I have also seen how much they struggle with something most view as simple. Many students have come to think once they leave school, the education stops.
With your experience volunteering and the articles you have read thus far, I think you have a truly great start to an interesting investigation!

10:24 PM, October 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home